Design for Startups
Design for Startups pairs emerging designers with early stage technology startups to work on a specific design problem.
To date, the program has connected 75+ early-stage tech companies with designers. Students are hired as Research Assistants and are supervised by Shumka Centre faculty and advisors as they work directly with company teams.
Current Cohort: Fall 2021 (September – December)
Company applications for Fall 2021 now closed.
Designer applications for the Fall 2021 is now closed.
How it Works
- Companies tell us what problem you would like solved
- We match companies with an Emily Carr designer who has the skills in that area
- Student designers join your company team and work closely with you and your stakeholders for twelve weeks
- Students also meet weekly with Emily Carr faculty and designers in a lab setting, where they are supported in keeping projects on track
Examples of Past Projects
- Leading a co-creative process of user research and branding to transform Karmahire into Callings
- Designing the creation tool from idea to wireframe for Cognilab
- Overhauling the form and function of email campaigns for Spacelist
- Creating icons and data visualizations to represent user libraries for BitLit
- Designing a mobile app for Koho